Ask Toolbar, a Threat to Your System – Says Microsoft
When the internet was new, we didn’t face many problems browsing or downloading. We had limited options and so the viruses and malware were not that strong as they are getting now. One such malware that Microsoft pointed out is the Ask Toolbar. Updated on June 13, 2105, Microsoft Malware Protection Center told its readers that the older versions of Ask Toolbar is a malware. When we install it on our web browsers, a window pops up and you are guided with the installation. Once Ask Toolbar is installed, it creates some malware files and folders on your system. Following files and folders are being created as Ask Toolbar is on your web browser:
10 Folders Created After Ask Toolbar is on Your System
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\CRX
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\CRX\108.3
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater\Config
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater\Response
10 Files Created After Ask Toolbar is on Your System
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\apnmcp.exe
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\APNSetup.exe
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Passport.dll
- %ProgramFiles% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Source\1031.mst
- %LOCALAPPDATA% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\Updater\IDC\IdcLdr.exe
- %LOCALAPPDATA% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\Updater\IDC\IdcSrv.dll
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\CRX\108.3\Toolbar.crx
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater\Config\Config.22.214.171.124-5.xml
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater\Config\Config.126.96.36.199-5.xml
- %ALLUSERSPROFILE% \AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\ORJ-SPE\Updater\Response\Response.188.8.131.52-0.xml
In addition to this update, Microsoft Malware Protection Center also pointed that this malware function is not yet being faced with the new version of Ask Toolbar. So, till the time it is not an unwanted software.
If you have the old version of Ask Toolbar, and you encounter the following symptom, you need to protect your system.
Any toolbar, extension or add-on, installed on your web browser will automatically enable itself.
If you face anything like this, you need to protect your system. Apply the following tips to get rid of the malware:
- Scan an updated version of a security software
- Install the latest versions of software
- Learn how the malware works
- Switch on you firewall
- Put limits on user rights to use your systems
Bill is a blogger and an IT-geek. He tries to put hard-understanding words to simplify them for everyone. If you need to know more, keep visiting and share your suggestions.
Bill is also a contributor and web content developer at ZeptoSystems. Zepto Systems is a UK-based IT company, providing services in wide IT paths. And not only this, but they can dedicate their best talents for you. Zepto Systems doesn’t claim to be the best, by they try their level best to cater their clients the best possible services. Visit ZeptoSystems.com and learn more about their diverse areas of expertise.